Ordnance Survey maps

For felling permission applications, you must use an up-to-date good quality or original Ordnance Survey (OS) map (or a map of a similar standard and detail) unless you've access to digital mapping software, which enables you to produce maps to the required standard.

If you use digital mapping software, you can submit maps in JPEG format.

Where can I get a map?

Paper maps and digital data are available from Ordnance Survey and their partners. 

What about copyright?

If you want to copy Ordnance Survey based maps you must be licensed by Ordnance Survey or apply for permission each time a copy is needed.

How should I mark the maps?

Your maps must be marked clearly, accurately and consistently with the details given in your felling permission application.

The following points apply to both hard copy maps and those supplied in JPEG format. Your map or maps must:

  • be produced on an up-to-date Ordnance Survey map or mapping of a similar standard and detail
  • be scaled between 1:10,000 and 1:5,000 or 1:2,500 and 1:1,250 for smaller areas needing clarity
  • have a title, scale and legend to clearly identify what you've marked on the map
  • no hidden details, labels or marks
  • include the whole boundary of the application area
  • indentify the type of felling taking place
  • have the Ordnance Survey grid reference of the centre of your application area marked
  • relate directly to the felling or restocking tables on your application form - site or compartment '1' must be labelled as ‘1’ on the map
  • define the point of access to the area (if this isn't obvious)

Felling permission - example map

This map is an example of the type and detail of map you'll need to include in your felling permission application.